No Day But Today

Friday, February 29, 2008

Dr. John Piper

Most of you know that Mike and I have been attending Mars Hill Church (www.marshillchurch.org) for a little over a year now. Well, he has been attending longer, but that is neither here nor there. Mark Driscoll is the pastor at Mars Hill, and he is an excellent communicator, speaker, teacher, pastor, etc. His preaching style is controversial because he doesn't sugar coat anything, but I find it refreshing and true. Most of the time, I am pretty right on with what he is saying.

This week Mars Hill hosted a conference at which Mark and John Piper spoke. Monday night I had the opportunity to listen to Dr. Piper lecture on why he believes the scriptures. This man has an absolutely deep and amazing mind, and to hear him focus on something so instrumental to even the simplest of faiths was humbling and awesome. The words he uses to describe Jesus are compelling. I would encourage you, in your free time, to download some podcasts from the Mars Hill website. In case you were needing direction in that, my favorite sermon series is through the book of 'Ruth'. Mark does a fantastic job of describing their beautiful, Christian relationship and how it actually applies to us today.

In other news, Mike and I have been reading 'The 5 Love Languages' by Dr. Gary Chapman. I really hate that the cover of the book is purple and pink, because that almost seems like it's something the woman is coercing the man in to reading. Why not green or tan or anything remotely masculine? It's a good thing Mike is colorblind =) I think I am learning that my love language is 'Acts of Service'. Is that the nurse in me? I have a hunch what Mike's love language is, but we aren't to that chapter yet. I will keep you updated. Otherwise nothing else is new. We are both working 40 + hours, Mike will finish his class in about 20 days. My goal of the weekend is to find wedding invitations and finalize my bridesmaid dress decision. We close on the condo March 26, and we'll both start spring quarter classes March 31st. We are just tearin up the town.

Thanks for reading... and really, check out the Mars Hill website!

1 Comments:

  • I'm jealous - what an awesome church you attend. I regularly download Driscoll's podcast and listen to them when I run. Great stuff!! And Dr. John Piper - thats awesome.

    By Blogger hannah, at 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home