No Day But Today

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Luke

Mike and I are snowed in today. This is the tree outside our condo.. it doesn't look terrible, but there are about 5 inches on the car. Mike is upstairs working from home while I am downstairs playing on facebook and blogs trying not to distract him. This is very hard because he's so darn cute. I thought I would post some more about the birth of Jesus, this time from our physician Luke.

Luke 1:39-42 'In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a town in Judah and she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, and she exclaimed with a loud cry, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb" '.

I have always LOVED this image of John the Baptist (the fetus) leaping for joy as Jesus (the fetus) came in to the room. What a beautiful connection. I would love to bring this up in the 'when does life begin?' debates. I would certainly argue that the spirit of God was alive in these two men before they were birthed into the world as we know it. Anyway, what a beautiful depiction of the Glory of God.

Luke 1: 46-50 'And Mary said, "My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for He who is mighty has done great things for me and holy is His name. And His mercy is for those who fear Him from generation to generation." '

I need to wake up every morning and make it a point that my soul magnifies the Lord and that my spirit would rejoice in Him more often. I get so caught up in tasks that I often forget to sit down and say Thank You to the One who has delivered me from the brokenness of this world. I pray that my soul would magnify Him today.

Luke 2: 6-14 'And while they were there, the time came for her to give birth, and she gave birth to her first born son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for him in the inn. And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you; you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger, And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of heavenly hosts praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!" '


For anyone who is a Christian, this passage rings with nostalgia and peace. 'Behold, I bring you good news'. This is the BEST news we could EVER receive! Jesus humbled himself to come in to human flesh to save us. I pray that we would receive grace along with our Christmas packages this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home