No Day But Today

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Solid as a Rock



"The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had it's foundation on a rock." Matthew 7:25 I feel like this verse was the common theme of my weekend. It may be a stretch, but bear with me. Yesterday I took my little Saturn out of the garage underneath my apartment building for the first big drive in Boston since she delivered me here 3 weeks ago. So we took a little trip down to Plymouth, Mass to see where the Pilgrims first landed. (Plymouth Rock- are you following my pun here?). So the Pilgrims/Puritans came for 'religious freedom' right? Granted, they were not messing around and were crazy serious and judgemental and came not for everyone's religious freedom, rather to run things the way they wanted...right (Salem witch trials ring a bell? That's another one day road trip). But they came and established our country, solid on a rock. Imagine the will they must have had. (by the way, the rock now is only 1/3 the size it originally was)

Secondly, the church I attended this morning is 'The Old West Church'/ West End UMC. It was founded in 1737 as a wood frame building. It was burned in down by British troops during the Revolution and the current buliding was rebuilt in 1806. The first Sunday school in America was initiated there in 1812. It still stands today, and it is gorgeous. Solid as a rock. The service was ok, but I was completely blown away by thoughts of how many lives have been dynamically changed there. God picked that spot 280 years ago and has been working in that community ever since! The rain has come and the winds have blown, but this cornerstone still stands.

I promise that not ever blog entry will be a history lesson, but I am still just fascinated by it all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home