No Day But Today

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Med Shed

Hello again! I do believe this will be the last post about my time abroad. I fully intend to put all of my pictures in a snapfish setting, but I have been too busy eating! The last few weeks have been wonderful, as I have had 'eating' appointments all across the midwest. I'll let you know when I figure out how to do that snapfish thin! In the mean time, the majority of our London/Paris pictures are at http://mdwade.myphotoalbum.com/. Now, back to B-town!
These two very lovely ladies are the physicians I worked with in Session #1. On the left in Tamara; she is a Pediatric Hematologist in the Republic of Georgia, and she's fluent in many languages! She most recently studied in Italy, which she highly recommends to all! I will have to listen to that recommendation! The doctor on the right is Atefah. She is from the UK, and she's just positively lovely, and brilliant! We went walking everyday, and then we filled our empty stomachs with Cadburry Chocolate. This is my kind of friend! She's a pediatrician in London, and she gave Mike and me lots of suggestions about 'must-do's'.
Here we have (from L to R); Tamara, Eimear, Atefah, myself. Eimear is the full-time clinical coordinator/ head nurse/ keeps everything rolling type of gal. She has worked at Barretstown for the last 7 years, and she has perfected her job. She runs everything extremely well, and she's just a joy to be around. I was so impressed by how well the Med Shed was run., and I certainly intend on returning to visit Eimear (pronounced ee-mer) again!
Pictured here are two little boys from Wales and Ireland with our lovely doctor from session #2. Maria from Alicante Spain. She has a large beach house, and she says she has tons of room for visitors. Any takers? I think I will just quit working permanently! She, too, was another delight to be around. Multi-cultural connections are my new most favorite thing! We had many discussions about the differences in our cultures... it's amazing what I didn't realize was my culture! (The woman taking her husbands name for instance!!)
Pictured here in the Med Shed is myself, Peter Barber, and Helen. Peter Barber was the second physician in Session 2. He's just a hilariously quintessential British grandpa! He doesn't hear well, and he can't remember names, so he just calls everyone 'Duckie'. Once he got 'Heather' down, he quickly moved in to Heatherkins.. which I must say is a totally new nickname for me. (and I have had a lot!). Helen is the senior nurse who comes to help Eimear out in the summer. She's from Dublin and has children my age, and she is a riot as well. She let me stay with her my last night in Ireland and took me to the airport to go meet Mike and everything. I am so touched by the people that I was able to work with in Ireland. I promise this first time over there will not be the last. Thanks so much for sharing in the journey with me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home