No Day But Today

Thursday, June 14, 2007

When in Rome (or Ireland)

I am living in Ballymore Eustace, Co. Kildare. People here discuss their home by county (much like we would a state). So 'Kil' = Wood. I am in the Wood of Dare. 'Bally' = Town, 'More' = Big. Bigtown Eustace. (The post office is the gas station is the grocery store, so it's not a huge place, but there are 7 pubs. Not to worry!)

go for the crack= have a great time (this could be concerning if you didn't know what they actually were referring too!)
chips= fries
crisps= chips
twisters= curly fries
half nine= 9:30
trainers= tennis shoes
fags= cigarettes
digestive biscuits= a graham cracker of sorts. (i like our name better!)

Most things and people are described as brilliant and lovely, Gas is 6.50 a gallon here, and they have socialized medicine which I've learned just a ton about (I'll save that for another blog post!). Hares really exist here, and I must say, they would definitely be faster than a tortoise. Their traditional breakfasts include baked beans, tomatoes, sausage, fried eggs, fried potatoes, and porridge. I am going to the pub tonight and to Cork for the weekend.. so I'll let you know about the traditional dinner fare!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home