No Day But Today

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Perfectly Paris

I'm in love with this boy and this city!! This will be the first of many (!) blogs of pictures of my 5 weeks in Europe. 7-7-07 was my big travel day home to STL, and now I am rested enough to begin the adventures of re-living it all so I can share it with you all!! This post is dedicated just to the main highlights of the big tourist attractions in Paris. In general, I found the city thrilling and breathtaking. At the end of every street is something massive and decadent. Mike and I took about 600 pictures in this city alone! Everyone spoke English (which I found refreshing but also sort of self righteous... the rest of the world catering to us sort of thing), and actually people were very accommodating. I could see, though, how it would take a bit to assimilate in to the Parisian culture as it is so uniquely their own! (and it's fabulous!) This was our last day in Paris and our first day of sun so we had to capture the sunset! Our hotel was about 3 blocks from the Tour de Eiffel, so we tried to get a pose like this nightly. Isn't he cute?
Yeah, it's awesome.

Musee du Louvre. The pyramid was designed by I.M. Pei, a Chinese Born America architect. He also designed the John Hancock building in Boston. The Louvre is the entire building behind me. It's just as beautiful as the works inside. It is, hands down, the most glorious art museum I've ever set foot in!

Arc de Triomphe; commissioned by Napoleon in 1806. It's a war memorial honoring both victories of the empire and also those who were killed in action.


Notre-Dame de Paris began in 1163 during the reign of Louis VII. It's magical and so holy! We read somewhere that they display a piece of the real cross and the crown of thorns. Sounds incredible to me. Wouldn't it be awesome if that was true!

Notre-Dame again. This vantage point is from our boat cruise down the River Seine.


Our favorite Bridge over the river. It has all of these beautiful gold statues, and the Gold Dome Church (where Napoleon's tomb is housed) is just directly behind.


Sacre Couer (Sacred Heart). Built in the 1870s. Also breathtaking! This is up on a hill in a neighborhood of Paris called Montmarte. It's very artsy and trendy and oh so wonderful.
There will be more to come VERY soon!






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home