No Day But Today

Monday, October 16, 2006

San Diego and the PCH

I've had the last 5 days off! What a great time. Thursday I left the city by the bay to head down to San Diego to see my cousin Kelly, his wife Jen, and their 3 year old...little Chloe Cooper. We had a great time relaxing, and we went to the Miramar Marine Corp Air Show. It was awesome; highlights include all sorts of fighter jets and my favorites the Blue Angels again! Kelly is a Navy Seal so he explained everything; he is so cool, and his stories are incredible. It was so nice to be with family. Cooper Girls. Chloe is so smart! She amazed me all weekend, and she is the best cuddler. I want a 3 year old!
I left San Diego and headed up Hwy 1 the Pacific Coastal Highway. It literally follows the coastline the entire state of California. In general, the further north I traveled the more beautiful it became. This is the view in Malibu from Pepperdine's campus.. I can't even imagine going to school there! Other highlights of cities: Laguna Beach, Long Beach, Santa Monica, Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, San Simeon (Hearst Castle), Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Francisco....
I stayed Sunday night in Morro Bay; early this morning I woke up and took a stroll down to the coast. This is the historic 'Morro Rock'. It is huge!
Somewhere along the PCH
Elephant Seal Vista Point. Apparently they are always at this stretch of sand. They mate and raise their young here too.. man are they loud. According to the plaques around the point, most of the seals present this time of year are the 'juveniles'. The adults (male and female) will start coming back around Dec 1 to start the mating season.
Isn't this breathtaking?
The Mission at Carmel.
'The Lone Cypress' in the the 17mile Drive of Pebble Beach. These Cypress are all over north California. This tree has lasted on its perch for over 250 years.
Final Stop of the day was at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. This is the only exhibit that actually allowed flash photography, therefore it's the only one I grabbed. I would love to show you the octopus! It was actually really gross looking.. but I learned that they can taste with their suckers, and they can distinguish between different humans. Also, they all have individual and distinct personalities; and the color of their skin changes to depict their mood! Those were my favorite facts. The aquarium was just fabulous. There was a tank with a great white shark and bluefin tuna weighing in at close to 600 pounds!! I have never seen anything like it.
What better way to end a road trip than to come home to San Francisco! I am so grateful for the opportunity to explore this beautiful part of our country. It is breathtaking and unreal. I would highly recommend it... I can't wait to drive a bit more north!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home